This scholarship programme offers you the opportunity to continue your academic education in Germany with a postgraduate course of study.
Who can apply?
- Excellently-qualified graduates who have completed a first degree (Bachelor, Diplom or comparable academic degree) at the latest by the time they commence their scholarship-supported study programme.
- For applicants from artistic disciplines and the field of architecture, the DAAD offers subject-specific scholarship programmes.
What can be funded?
- Participation in a postgraduate programme after a first undergraduate course of study for the purpose of technical or scientific specialisation
- Specifically, the following is supported:
a postgraduate or Master’s degree programme completed at a state or state-recognised university in Germany
the first or second year of study at a state or state-recognised German university as part of a postgraduate or Master’s degree programme completed in the home country or in another foreign country; recognition of the academic achievements rendered in Germany must be guaranteed. The standard period of study of the postgraduate or Master’s degree programme should not be exceeded as a result of the study year in Germany.
Duration of the funding
For a postgraduate or Master’s degree completed in Germany:
- between 10 and 24 months depending on the length of the chosen study programme
- The scholarships are awarded for the duration of the standard period of study for the chosen study programme (up to a maximum of 24 months). To receive further funding after the first year of study for 2-year courses, proof of academic achievements thus far should indicate that the study programme can be successfully completed within the standard period of study.
- Applicants who are already in Germany in the first academic year of a 2-year postgraduate or Master’s programme at the time of their application may apply for a scholarship for the second year of study. In this case, it is not possible to extend the scholarship.
For a study period in Germany as part of a postgraduate or Master’s degree completed in a foreign country:
- usually one academic year; an extension is not possible.
- The scholarship usually begins on 1st October, or earlier if the student takes a language course prior to the study programme.